[plug] Identd server that "hides" the user

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Tue Oct 19 11:03:43 WST 2010

Tim <weirdit at gmail.com> writes:

> I'm searching for an identd server that hides the true identity of the
> user (so it's not giving out login names).

[...]

> I'm about to give ident2 a try, hopefully it's random replies will
> work, AND it'll log them so I can look back through logs to work out
> who was who. Ideally though, I want it to return the SAME random reply
> for each user. So essentially a mapping.

[...]

> Anyone attempted this before and can point me in the right direction?

Are you doing this with trusted software on the network clients?  If so, it
might be easier to verify the origin of the connection my mapping together
user details and connection time using on-host accounting or so.

That saves the headache of trying to get a pseudonymous ident service running
by side-stepping the problem, assuming you only want it for historic
comparison.

If you don't trust the software, or want to gate access to resources, then do
yourself a favour and use a secure protocol instead.  With ident and untrusted
clients you may as well just ask the client who they want to impersonate and
give them whatever access they ask for.

        Daniel