[plug] OpenSolaris, ZFS, RAID-Z Comments [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Wilkinson, Alex alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au
Thu Sep 2 10:49:46 WST 2010

    0n Thu, Sep 02, 2010 at 12:09:11PM +0930, David Lloyd wrote:

    >> Been doing lots of reading on the net today about RAID's, which lead
    >> me to RAID-Z and ZFS, which lead me to OpenSolaris.
    >> So I thought I'd just ask for people to chime in with their thoughts
    >> and experiences with ether OpenSolaris, ZFS or RAID-Z. And if you want
    >> to talk about how RAID-Z/ZFS compares to other RAID, that RAID I'm
    >> most interested in is RAID10 so don't worry about telling me how
    >> RAID-5 sucks. :-P
    >
    >OpenSolaris' ZFS is very good however the state of 'open' Solaris under Oracle is a little, well, unclear.

OpenSolaris is dead: http://dtrace.org/blogs/bmc/2010/08/19/the-liberation-of-opensolaris/

   -Alex

IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.