[plug] OpenSolaris, ZFS, RAID-Z Comments

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Thu Sep 2 10:53:17 WST 2010

Shortly after my first posted, I discovered that a) 'open' solaris is
now a little murky (and has no 2010 release), and b) BTRFS exists!
Looking interesting. So lets expand the discussion to include BTRFS.
How's it perform? For RAID10 do you still do software raid then BTRFS
over the top, or does it do it itself similar to RAIDZ?

Tim

On 2 September 2010 12:48, Adrian Woodley <Adrian at diskworld.com.au> wrote:
> BTRFS FTW! :-D
>
> Adon has been running it at home with a large degree of success. I haven't
> tried it myself yet. Its currently available in Ubuntu Lucid.
>
> http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Btrfs
>
> https://btrfs.wiki.kernel.org/index.php/Main_Page
>
> Adrian
>
> On 02/09/10 10:25, Tim wrote:
>>
>> Hey everyone
>> Been doing lots of reading on the net today about RAID's, which lead
>> me to RAID-Z and ZFS, which lead me to OpenSolaris.
>> So I thought I'd just ask for people to chime in with their thoughts
>> and experiences with ether OpenSolaris, ZFS or RAID-Z. And if you want
>> to talk about how RAID-Z/ZFS compares to other RAID, that RAID I'm
>> most interested in is RAID10 so don't worry about telling me how
>> RAID-5 sucks. :-P
>>
>> Hope everyone is having a good time over in WA. Also, we still don't
>> have a talker for this month.
>>
>> Thanks
>>
>> Tim

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia