[plug] mythtv capture card recommendation

Bill Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 3 10:08:00 WST 2010

On Fri, 2010-09-03 at 09:22 +0800, Gregory Orange wrote:
> On 3 September 2010 08:28, Jeremy Kerr <jk at ozlabs.org> wrote:
> > Hi Greg,
> > I'd suggest one of these:
> > http://www.fusionhdtv.co.kr/ENG/products/HDTVDVB-TDualDigital4.aspx
> > Should be well-supported in Linux. I'm not sure about availability, but
> > this may help:
> > http://staticice.com.au/cgi-bin/search.cgi?q=fusion+Dual+Digital&spos=1
>
> Thanks Jeremy; yourself and a brief mention from a friend have given
> me something to start with. If you're willing, would mind giving an
> opinion on these options?
>
> Leadtek DTV1000S (alt: http://ple.com.au/?p=snapshot&inventory_id=1312)
> Leadtek DTV2000DS (alt: http://ple.com.au/?p=snapshot&inventory_id=1313)
> Leadtek DTV2000H+
> Dvico Fusion DVB-T Dual 4 (your recommendation)
> Plus the Compro range from PLE, but I'm less concerned with those
> since I've had no recommendations.
>
> The listed prices are 34, 64, 62, 129 respectively, plus Compro ones
> from PLE 55, 79, 99, 129. That's quite a range, so I guess I'm
> wondering what I'd be getting for the extra cash. Any thoughts? I
> recognise that I can't research this all properly because I want
> something working quickly, but I'll poke and prod a little bit.

Avoid compro like the plague - I have a couple of devices as have others
I know - either not supported (and the box/manufacture labeling isnt
clear what the internals are) and its a guessing game as to whether they
will work or not - lots of misleading info about will/wont work out
there - which is how I got caught :(

I have a (now quite ancient) fusion HTDV card thats been working very
well with myth since 2005.  Not sure about more recent cards but they
seem well supported when I last looked a year ago.  Do get at least two
channels - it always seems that something I want is up against something
more important to another family member (footy supporters :(

I have a couple of very cheap USB receivers I am going try as soon as I
get time (doesnt need a PCI slot).

BillK