[plug] Firefox migration

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Sat Sep 4 17:14:33 WST 2010

On Sat, 2010-09-04 at 18:38 +1000, Daniel Pittman wrote:
> Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> writes:
>
> > I decided to change distros and am setting up things as I tend to like
> > them...  One problem being "The Fox" (Ta Dum!) how do I get my personal
> > bookmarks I've accumulated over lo, these many years over to the new
> > version, WITHOUT taking them all, and indelibly stamping the new Firefox as
> > being like the old one?
>
> Simple: export them as an HTML file on the old machine, then open it by hand
> on the new Firefox and bookmark the links you want.
>
> > Let's assume the old one had all sorts of bookmarks pointing to its own
> > site.
>
> Theoretically you could also manually, or automatically, prune the list by
> hand before importing it on the new system.
>
> Alternately, you could import everything, then hand-manage the list on the new
> system, or even clean it on the old system and then migrate the settings.
>
>         Daniel

Sorry - evil me posted before using the magic of Google, where I found
this http://kb.mozillazine.org/Migrating_settings_to_a_new_profile
following a few links and a few "cp" commands and I was done - OK it's
borked the default setup somewhat, but I can live with it, after a
cleanup.

And my passwords are all there, too.

--
Richard Meyer

Welcome to the Internet:  Where men are men, women are men, and children
are FBI agents.

Linux Counter user #306629