[plug] Tiled window managers

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed Sep 15 18:05:56 WST 2010

After getting incredibly frustrated at having 2 1920x1200 monitors on my desk, and metacity refusing
to allow me to use them as 2 separate work spaces, I was pushed to try xmonad.

It's a bit of a shift in thinking to let the window manager do its thing, and drive it entirely with
the keyboard. I've got an A3 cheat sheet of keystrokes on the wall in front of me just in case, but
after 2 hours of actually using it I find I don't need it much.

For example, when I hit "write" in thunderbird to compose this, the message composition window got
"master window" spot, pushing thunderbird off out the way to let me do what I need to do. Meanwhile
my rdesktop connection into a windows machine sits on the next monitor in its full screen glory,
waiting for me to roll my mouse across to it. When I switch workspaces on Monitor 1, the content of
monitor 2 stays put.

Does anyone else use window managers that manage the windows for you, rather than you trying to
figure out the best place to put them?

This is entirely new to me, but it's very, very quickly becoming a far more natural way to work.

Brad