[plug] Tiled window managers

Daniel Pittman daniel at rimspace.net
Wed Sep 15 18:23:48 WST 2010

Brad Campbell <brad at fnarfbargle.com> writes:

> After getting incredibly frustrated at having 2 1920x1200 monitors on my
> desk, and metacity refusing to allow me to use them as 2 separate work
> spaces, I was pushed to try xmonad.

[...]

> Does anyone else use window managers that manage the windows for you, rather
> than you trying to figure out the best place to put them?

No, but until very recently I used a strict "centered placement" policy for
windows, since that gave absolutely predictable behaviour.  Any "smart"
placement policy is a recipe for disaster[1] most of the time.

That and keyboard shortcuts for "pack up/down/left/right" made for very
efficient placement of windows.  For the, like, two or three that I usually
have open, or five on an extreme day.

        Daniel

Footnotes:
[1]  Well, OK, for wasting time moving windows from the wrong place, which is
     random, requiring more cognitive effort to identify before fixing.