[plug] Tiled window managers

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Fri Sep 17 06:57:58 WST 2010

On Thu, 2010-09-16 at 22:38 +0800, Russell Steicke wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 16, 2010 at 9:24 PM, Brad Campbell <brad at wasp.net.au> wrote:
> > On 16/09/10 20:42, Russell Steicke wrote:
> >
> >> Where I work we have workstations that have the setup you desire,
> >> running gnome.  They have nvidia dual head cards, and they get
> >> configured using the nvidia-settings program.  The trick here is to
> >> disable xinerama, and the two monitors then appear as two separate X
> >> screens, :0.0 and :0.1.  They get their own panels and are
> >> independently switchable between desktops.
> >
> > Can you drag windows between desktops?
>
> No, but our users don't need that.  They want to be able to be writing
> a document on one monitor and be able to flip between different data
> viewers on the other.
>
> Our solution won't suit you if you need that.

After a recent upgrade to gnome/X etc, my laptop started going strange
when plugging in a projector - sometimes two different desktops/screens,
sometimes cloned and sometimes two different sized displays (which Ive
never been able to get when trying to do it on purpose! - Intel i915)

The gnome screen control panel applet was able to tame it.

BillK

Home in Perth!