[plug] iptables questions

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Sep 29 17:21:29 WST 2010

On Wed, 2010-09-29 at 02:09 -0700, Fred Janon wrote:
> The server has another IP from the WAN that I am using to test.
>
> Thanks
>
> Fred

Perhaps a bit more detail? ... WAN implies a non-local destination -
firewalls, routing and whole lot of things that can get in the way.  Are
you on a LAN or a WAN?  And no VPN or tun/tap interfaces involved?

As a starter, can you ping your own localhost and the LAN interface from
the machine itself.

Does the server have a firewall? Try the ping to localhost and network
interface on the server from the server.

tcptraceroute is useful for non-local destinations with "things in the
way".  Daniel is right in that traceroute uses UDP but thats for probes
- ICMP is used as well, or optionally all ICMP.

BillK