[plug] PLUG Meeting this week - Tues 7:30pm.

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Apr 10 20:13:03 WST 2011

On 10/04/2011 4:28 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 10/04/2011, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
>>   This week's meeting in your house/place of work!
>>
>> The AV project has been assembling equipment, and we're going to try and
>> live stream the meeting from the UCC so that anyone unable to physically
>> attend can still watch, and via the magic of IRC, feed back questions
>> and comments. Please hang out on #plug on irc.plug.org.au (GimpNet) for
>> details; this is very much a test run so there is likely to be
>> interruptions to the stream, but we'll try our best. The stream will
>> appear at the right time on http://www.plug.org.au:8000/ (you wont see
>> it listed there just now).
> What is likely to happen, if one of us enters
> http://www.plug.org.au:8000/ as mentioned above, in the URL box in a
> web browser window?
>
> Would we be able to watch (and hear) the video?
>
> I am curious.....

Feel free to try now - you'll see the Icecast front page. I've started a
stream of a static image right now, so you may see that listed (though
the host I am doing the compression on isn't fast enough to even
compress a 320x240 video stream of a static image!).

The video can be recorded, and published to watch later - but this being
our first time, I think we'd be lucky to get just a basic stream
working. As more people get involved, we'll be able to get more done. In
particular, if you do connect to the sample stream I'm running now,
you'll see some very basic artwork. This ties into theming/branding our
PLUG communications, which if a group want to get together and expend
some artistic flair, please speak up! I've got some more in store when
the stream starts on Tuesday, if all goes to plan... but if anyone is
inspired to create music, images, or videos, then please join the AV
mailing list.

My aim, as I have mentioned at various meetings, is for PLUG to get a
bunch of people familiar with producing live streams that are watchable
so that if , in a few years time the requirement is there to produce it
on a wider scale (hint) PLUG already has the necessary experience. Also
this helps people not just in the Perth metro area but across the
state/country who want to get involved to do so.

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to