[plug] PLUG Meeting this week - Tues 7:30pm.

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Sun Apr 10 23:02:11 WST 2011

On 10/04/2011, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
> On 10/04/2011 4:28 PM, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 10/04/2011, James Bromberger <james at rcpt.to> wrote:
>>>   This week's meeting in your house/place of work!
>>>
>>> The AV project has been assembling equipment, and we're going to try and
>>> live stream the meeting from the UCC so that anyone unable to physically
>>> attend can still watch, and via the magic of IRC, feed back questions
>>> and comments. Please hang out on #plug on irc.plug.org.au (GimpNet) for
>>> details; this is very much a test run so there is likely to be
>>> interruptions to the stream, but we'll try our best. The stream will
>>> appear at the right time on http://www.plug.org.au:8000/ (you wont see
>>> it listed there just now).
>> What is likely to happen, if one of us enters
>> http://www.plug.org.au:8000/ as mentioned above, in the URL box in a
>> web browser window?
>>
>> Would we be able to watch (and hear) the video?
>>
>> I am curious.....
>
> Feel free to try now - you'll see the Icecast front page. I've started a
> stream of a static image right now, so you may see that listed (though
> the host I am doing the compression on isn't fast enough to even
> compress a 320x240 video stream of a static image!).
>
> The video can be recorded, and published to watch later - but this being
> our first time, I think we'd be lucky to get just a basic stream
> working. As more people get involved, we'll be able to get more done. In
> particular, if you do connect to the sample stream I'm running now,
> you'll see some very basic artwork. This ties into theming/branding our
> PLUG communications, which if a group want to get together and expend
> some artistic flair, please speak up! I've got some more in store when
> the stream starts on Tuesday, if all goes to plan... but if anyone is
> inspired to create music, images, or videos, then please join the AV
> mailing list.
>
> My aim, as I have mentioned at various meetings, is for PLUG to get a
> bunch of people familiar with producing live streams that are watchable
> so that if , in a few years time the requirement is there to produce it
> on a wider scale (hint) PLUG already has the necessary experience. Also
> this helps people not just in the Perth metro area but across the
> state/country who want to get involved to do so.
>
>   James
>
> --
> Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to

I get a screen that has two links - one for M3U and one for XSPF.

That screen has the title "Icecast2 Status"

Clicking on both links, after a dialogue box with option to open using
Movie Player, opens Totem Movie Player.

The dialogue box displays

"
Open this file?
File Type: “MP3 audio (streamed)”.
You can open “PLUG-Live.m3u” using “Movie Player” or save it.
"

Clicking on the link for M3U, I get an error to do with permissions;
"
An error occurred
Could not open location; you might not have permission to open the file.
"

The Properties - General, while not displaying usable information, is
not greyed out.

Clicking on the XSPF file link, shows the Totem screen but nothing
else - no error message and the Properties are all greyed out.

The dialogue box that led to that, like with the M3U case, displayed
"
Open this file?
File Type: “XSPF playlist”.
You can open “PLUG-Live.xspf” using “Movie Player” or save it.
"

I am running Debian 5 on this computer.

I can send screenshots, if wanted.

--