[plug] Finding which files reside in sector XYZ in a FAT filesystem [SEC=UNCLASSIFIED]

Tim weirdit at gmail.com
Mon Apr 18 14:21:52 WST 2011

So far the best I've got with this is running in scripted mode,
"advanced,list,recursive,fullpathname". I'm not sure but I'm guessing
the first number is a sector number. At 30+Gb of log file (A glorified
ls -l for every directory) it's not looking like the easiest tool to
use.

My googling has shown that "DiskView" a windows product
(http://technet.microsoft.com/en-us/sysinternals/bb896650) will do
what I want. I'm hoping I can find a Linux alternative, but will
resort to that if I have to.

Any other ideas? I'm surprised that it's been so hard to find
something like this.

Tim

On 18 April 2011 11:16, Wilkinson, Alex
<alex.wilkinson at dsto.defence.gov.au> wrote:

>    0n Mon, Apr 18, 2011 at 10:57:39AM +1000, Tim wrote:
>
>    >I'm hoping that there is some way to get from the FAT the filenames
>    >that point into those sectors in the ddrescue log file that couldn't
>    >be recovered.
>
> Have a look at http://www.cgsecurity.org/wiki/TestDisk
>
>   -Alex
>
> IMPORTANT: This email remains the property of the Department of Defence and is subject to the jurisdiction of section 70 of the Crimes Act 1914. If you have received this email in error, you are requested to contact the sender and delete the email.

Timothy White - Somewhere in Australia