[plug] Mailing List Confusion

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Fri Dec 16 09:04:17 WST 2011

On 16/12/2011 8:43 AM, Tim White wrote:
> Thanks for the great writeup James. I think we need to having
> something like that on a page on the website explaining the
> differences between mailing list and members. It /should/ be possible
> to customise some of the templates to have a link at the bottom? Also,
> if we edit that string, because we aren't doing lookups, it'll always
> return the english string (as it will no longer find a translated
> string in the .po files), then we just need to do a dpkg-redirect on
> that file so it doesn't get overwritten on upgrades (and document it
> so we know why it doesn't get updated).

True, however that's one of the main code files from Mailman, and any
package updates you probably want to have this file updated too (it may
break if we have an old/incompatible version of Hold.py).

We could add a message to the BOTTOM of the current template by editing
/etc/mailman/en/postheld.txt:

    Please note, "membership" of a mailing list is separate and
    unrelated to "membership" of PLUG, Inc. If this post has been held
    for approval, perhaps you are not subscribed to the list from this
    email address. Please visit http://lists.plug.org.au/ to confirm
    your subscription to the mailing list.

... and I have just applied this - but play with the wording if you wish.

  James

--
/Mobile:/ +61 422 166 708, /Email:/ james_AT_rcpt.to
PLUG President 2011: http://www.plug.org.au <http//www.plug.org.au>