[plug] PLUG News Server

Bernd Felsche bernie at innovative.iinet.net.au
Sun Dec 18 20:57:13 WST 2011

On Sun, 18 Dec 2011 14:08:55 Tim White wrote:
> It has been awhile since PLUG has had a News server (NNTP). However,
> today I have started some testing with inn2 on bath gateing to mailman
> on pot. (So far, just for the offtopic list). I've also made it
> authenticate against LDAP as this was easier than trying to make it
> authenticate against mailman.

INN2 differs from INN is what way?

I provided the original NNTP server powered by leafnode-2 which had
the ability to authenticate users. The latest alpha (leafnode-2 has
been in alpha for almost a decade) appears to provide for PAM
authentication (which can use LDAP as well as many other methods).

<http://www.dt.e-technik.uni-dortmund.de/~ma/leafnode/beta/>

A mailman gateway was crafted by somebody else in PLUG (Nick?).

The major problem with leafnode is the "no administration" paradigm.
Under normal circumstances, you don't have to ever touch it; unless
you want to set up a(nother) "local" newsgroup. You may not see that
as a problem but if it doesn't need anybody fiddling with it on a
regular basis, it gets forgotten.

\ /  ASCII ribbon campaign | For every complex problem there is an
 X   against HTML mail     | answer that is clear, simple, and wrong.
/ \  and postings          |  --HL Mencken