[plug] MythTV project

Lucas van Staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Feb 11 12:00:56 WST 2011

On 11/02/11 11:20, home at oranges.id.au wrote:
> My setup has high WAF, e.g. since it recorded a Spicks&  Specks
> episode out of the blue when we weren't actively recording it; and
> we're no longer chained to the timing of when shows are on. We just
> watch whatever we feel like from the recorded shows.
I agree.

My wife is stoked.
Firstly when we got the PS3 PlayTv device and used the PS3 to record,
things went badly wrong very quickly, with schedules not adjusting for
time changes, so we got half recorded programs, recorded programs with
the end missing etc etc.

MythTv solved all that.

Secondly (just as the Tv's warranty ran out - the usual) the internal
digital tuner card stopped working in December.
Just a blank screen with no channels.
Research showed that this is a common issue in the range of Sony
Bravia's we have, and to replace is $700! or I can open the thing up and
bypass the small surface mounted fuse that apparently seems to blow when
the signal is too strong (WTF!)
Now mythtv is just recording what we want, stripping out the adverts ,
and my wife can access it all on the familiar XBMC interface that I have
been using for years now. (The only good thing the Xbox ever gave the
world!)

BIG WAF acceptance there.
She brags about our system to all the family all the  time :)

--
Regards
Lucas van Staden

http://www.proxiblue.com.au/ (Consumer Electronics Retail Shop)
http://www.vanstaden.com.au/ (Linux)

--
I'm happy spasmodically - If I eat a chocolate turtle I'm happy - When the box is empty I'm unhappy!