[plug] MythTV project

Lucas van staden lvs at dedmeet.com
Fri Feb 11 21:52:14 WST 2011

On Fri, Feb 11, 2011 at 5:30 PM, Tim Bowden <tim.bowden at gmail.com> wrote:

> Interesting music setup.  TBH I've not found a music player I like
> better than the old xmms.  I can't stand the idea of having to have a
> library and tags and all that nonsense.  For me it's all on the file
> system with playlists in m3u files.  Nice and simple and it works for
> me, but that's not much of an option for sharing music.  Looks like I
> might eventually have to move into this century if I want a real
> 'media' centre rather than just a PVR.  That one can wait on the back
> burner for now though.

You should give minirok a try. http://chistera.yi.org/~dato/code/minirok/
We use it exactly for the same reason.
I don't want to sit and 'manage' a music library, I want to play music, and
the file names are 100%.
Minirok just works, and is 100% file system based on music browsing and
searching is fast.
Small memory footprint as well.
And it does a few *few* bells and wissles.
I like pushing my music playing to my last.fm profile, as i use that to
discover new music with.
(http://www.last.fm/user/dedmeet)

The only thing I miss in MiniRok is 'smart playlists' which loads music
automatically into the playlist depending on what has already played. Great
if you don't know what to play.
I still intend to add that feature, but I just don't seem to get the time :(

> As far as the IR receiver goes, what sort of set up do you use?  I'd
> prefer a receiver embedded in the face of the box rather than
> something external.  Unfortunately that pushes up the price and limits
> the case options somewhat.  I assume the IR receiver needs to connect
> to an IRda header on the motherboard, but if there isn't one what
> alternatives are there to connecting it?  Or can lirc use the ir
> receiver that comes with one of the tuner cards?

I have a old ir-receiver (off ebay when I was in the uk - looks like this:
http://stuff.nekhbet.ro/2006/07/10/make-an-infrared-remote-control-for-pc.html)
connected to the internal com port, and I removed the front panel firewire
port, and glued the ir pickup into that slot. fits perfectly, and all
internal - cost was minimal), but it is no longer in use, since I am now
using a PS3 BD remote, with a hacked bluetooth adapter in the back of the
mini-itx.
I added a wifi antenna to get good reception, so when we outside at the
barbecue (or making a potjie (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Potjiekos) ), the
remote can work to jump music from outside.
attached a little pic of that ;)

One issue I am currently experiencing is that I need to hold in 'start +
enter' on the remote when I power the box on (the 'go to sleep in 2 hours if
not in use' is a new thing, started about a week ago, as my wife asked me if
I can reduce my energy footprint, and not have the machines on all the time
if not in use).

Still need to solve that issue, as I seem to be the only one with it. google
has not helped me on this one.
Might be my bluetooth adapter, not sure yet why this is happening.
May still drop back to the ir-blaster and lirc if that is not solved.

> Regards,
> Tim

Regards
Lucas