[plug] Minicom

William Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed Feb 16 10:53:00 WST 2011

ls -al /dev/modem - does it exist and what does it point to?

I use /dev/ttyS0 (most common, first comm port) - or are you using a usb
serial cable? - they work well by the way, a necessity since
manufacturers stopped putting serial ports on laptops :(

You may need to be in the relevant group to access the serial devices as
well as a user.

BillK

On Wed, 2011-02-16 at 10:40 +0800, Jon L Miller wrote:
> I’m trying to get minicom to work on a SLES v11 and whenever I run it
> it just states it cannot find /dev/modem I went through the setup
> (minicom –s) to setup everything, but it still is not working.  Anyone
> have any ideas on getting this to work.  I use it to configure cisco
> routers via the telnet to the rollover cable to com1.
>
> Should I be using /dev/modem or /dev/ttyS1 (or something like that)?
>

> Jon L Miller
>
> MMT Networks Pty Ltd
>
> e: jlmiller at mmtnetworks.com.au
>
> p: +618 9375 6597
>
> m: +61 412 126 166
>

> Disclaimer

> for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you
> should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify
> the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by
> mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission
> cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could
> be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete,
> or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for
> any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise
> as a result of e-mail transmission.

Home in Perth!