[plug] Debian 6.0 .isos

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Sun Feb 20 12:18:04 WST 2011

On 20/02/2011 11:03 AM, Garry wrote:
> If anyone would like the isos for the latest debian stable to save
> bandwidth, let me know.  I have i386/amd64 dvd images. They are on
> iinet too, but usb2 is faster - next time I'm up there. Can post them
> out if you want them asap.
> PLUG librarian - any interest?
Hi Garry (et al.),

This raises an interesting question. We've been considering how useful
the PLUG library is. Historically when Free Software software was
difficult to get hold of, either by availability, or download speed,
the Library was a potential source of obtaining this easily. However,
these days with local mirrors, and fast (ish) DSL type connections,
public WiFi, and internet access at Libraries and other locations, the
library become aparently little used (please correct me if I'm wrong
here). Since software changes quite quickly, its often out of date by
the time its reached the library.

Time and technology has moved on.

So, my question to the membership is: does PLUG still value the Library?
Do we have any volunteers to manage the library? I don't think we have a
current librarian, and I'm not aware of anyone using the library
recently. Should the library just be a managed mirror of useful
software? Is it even that worth it, given the liberal availability of
software within local mirrors? Perhaps even managing our own mirror is
not an effective use of time and resources? Perhaps just a managed list
of links to useful software and local mirrors? Perhaps a laptop with CD
burner and a bunch of DVDs/CDs that can be burnt on demand at meetings
(or at any other time)?

Again, we need a volunteer who wants to manage this. Anyone care to step
up? If there are no volunteers, then the library will be frozen as a
historic relic.

Comments welcome, either on list, or directly to me or the committee if
you wish.

  James

--
Mobile: +61 422 166 708, Email: james_AT_rcpt.to