[plug] What language to learn?

Hooker hooker at iinet.net.au
Thu Feb 24 15:02:26 WST 2011

My suggestion would be to learn Java well. It's fairly common for development work
and you ought to be able to make the jump to C# without much difficulty if you feel
the need in the future.

C++ is another FOSS language that occurs a lot, but it's certainly not trivial to
learn well and write fluidly.

Predictably the market has a lot of .Net work, but this being the plug mailing list
and your question about FOSS suggests that your interests are elsewhere. Daniel is
right about COBOL - there's a truly amazing amount of it with a diminishing number
of competent programmers. Once you understand how to define data, it's a easy
language to use. Again, that may not be to your taste.

My advice would be to learn a couple of languages well enough to write good code, at
least one of which should be strong OO (i.e. not Perl, much as I enjoy the
language). If you enjoy the work, you'll pick up other languages as you go.

Paul

--
"Microsoft is not the Borg - the Borg had good networking"

On Thu Feb 24 13:05 , Daniel Pittman <daniel at rimspace.net> sent: