[plug] phone synchronisation

James Bromberger james at rcpt.to
Tue Jan 4 18:08:03 WST 2011

On 4/01/2011 5:05 PM, home at oranges.id.au wrote:
> Talk to me about this Android phone. Do I need to use direct web
> access to synchronise it? Or can I just WiFi at home and use it merely
> as a phone elsewhere?

You can do just that! Using the Cell network for data is OPTIONAL, and
indeed, I normally turn mine off ($$$), and only use WiFi when around
the set of Access Points I trust/have access to.

I recall when I first got the phone - I turned on WiFi before I had even
put a SIM in it, and it was quite happy - and even did the first fimware
update over WiFi regardless of not being on a mobile phone network.

> Tell me more about Android phones... how many are there, what do they
> cost etc? Any chance of NextG?

There are many, many models. I got mine direct from Google's online
store - it's a Nexus One, which has just had the next model released
about 2 weeks ago as the "Nexus S". I got mine as an unlocked handset
because I didn't want to be tied to any carrier, and I hate all the
carrier branding cr*p they seem to throw on their handsets as well.

NextG - no idea.

HTH

  James :)