[plug] phone synchronisation

Simon Newton lists at nomis52.net
Wed Jan 19 00:48:54 WST 2011

On Mon, Jan 17, 2011 at 7:51 PM, Kai <vk6ksj at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On 18/01/11 09:52, home at oranges.id.au wrote:
>>
>> Yesterday I took delivery of an HTC Desire, $0 on a $45/m 24m Telstra
>> business plan - so effective cost when foregoing the $12.50/m credit
>> is $300! 600MB included data is a bonus too. So far I'm pleased:
>> Google Tasks, Calendar, Mail all seem to work nicely. To my delight, I
>> have noticed that sending email does _not_ result in a "sent from my
>> self-advertising device" signature.
>>
>> Thank you everyone for advice (feel free to give more). I'll work with
>> it and eventually succumb to the temptation to download games (:
>>
>> Cheers,
>> Greg.
>
> For the record, the final word from Samsung about all the issues I'm having
> is backup everything and factory reset, no patches/updates available.
>
> I wanna keep my MMS/SMS but Kies software doesn't allow for MMS/SMS backups,
> and, funnily enough, it crashes a few seconds after initiating Media Backups
> :S So the phone crashes randomly, I guess at least Kies crash is
> predictable... :S
>
> Virgin support was fairly fast but did not really give me any useful
> answers, Samsung support was the same. Factory reset, kthxbai...
>
> So, looks like I shoulda got an HTC or Nexus X. Might go Nexus X, feedback
> says it has vendor oriented updates and does not rely on third party updates
> like the Galaxy S does.

Nitpick: I think you mean Nexus S. It's similar to last year's Nexus
One with a couple of differences:

  - I miss the notification light in the trackball on the Nexus One,
now I have to turn my phone on to check for messages / chats / emails
etc.
 - The lack of a trackball makes it harder to select text & deal with
input fields
 - I don't notice the contour display at all
 - The Nexus S feels much lighter but the difference appears to only
be < 5gm. I put this down to better weight distribution.
- Nexus S comes with Google Maps 5.0 which uses vectors rather than maptiles.
- Nexus S has 16G of memory, but no option for a microSD card.

Simon