[plug] Query about display problem

Bret Busby bret at busby.net
Fri Jul 8 13:44:17 WST 2011

On Fri, 1 Jul 2011, Michael Van Delft wrote:

> Hi Bret,
>
> To show some information about your system you can try ‘lspci’ and
> ‘less /proc/cpuinfo’.
>
> I’m not being patronising so don’t take this the wrong way, but when
> trouble shooting I always look at the hardware layer first. Double
> check that the power and VGA\DVI cable are securely plugged in. It
> wouldn’t be the first time I’ve seen a fault like this and the
> software is pure coincidence.
>
> Good Luck,
> Michael

Actually....

Regarding the "patronising" part, it may well have been the solution.

I haven't encountered the same problem, for a while now; it seems to
have happened for a few days, and then, not since then (funny - after I
queried on this list, and then got some responses, the problem appears
to have disappeared for the time being).

Sometimes, when moving to and from the chair at which I am sitting when
using this computer, I bump the desk, and the display fails. I then
jiggle the VGA lead that goes into the monitor (the plug for the lead,
is connected vertically - hanging down from the socket in the back of
the monitor), and, just then, when looking at the connection, I bumped
the VGA lead with the mirror, and got "No signal" on a black screen on
the monitor, which I then overcame, by jiggling the lead, to restore a
stable(ish) connection.

One thing about it, that puzzles me, is that the problem with the
flashing off, then on again, as previously mentioned, and the increasing
frequency, happened only when (and, immediately after) a session using a
terminal or console thing, thence using the command line, and, did not
appear when just using the GUI without the command line.

Strange...

--
Bret Busby
Armadale