[plug] Excellent Linux driver for cheap Logitech USB VOIP Speakerphone

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 11:52:00 WST 2011

On 12/07/2011, Stuart Edgar <stuart at male-edgar.org> wrote:
> I recently bought one of
> these<http://www.shoppingsquare.com.au/p_14665_Logitech_QuickCall_USB_Speakerphone_>speaker
> phones to use for SIP/Skype calls. They are on runout so very cheap
> ($30 + postage)
>
> The hardware is pretty solid with an excellent microphone.
>
> The linux driver <http://ozlabs.org/%7Edgibson/quickcall.html> needs to be
> compiled but works well with Ubuntu 10.10 and 11.04. It was done by David
> Gibson http://ozlabs.org/~dgibson/quickcall.html - kudos to him

With the technology that is available, I had expected that people
would be using webcams, in making videocalls, using Skype, and I
understand that a webcam with a microphone can also be used in making
voice calls, so, why would a person need a separate voice phone thing,
for use with calls across the Internet, when calls across the Internet
can be done (from my understanding), using webcams and (if the webcams
do not have them, or compatibility with webcam microphones arise),
microphones?

I am not denigrating your information; I just do not understand why a
person would need the extra device, when I believe that existing
devices would already do what it can do (or, so I believe).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."