[plug] Meeting tonight: Ubuntu One. Loft at UCC, UWA, 6.30pm

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Tue Jul 12 13:51:13 WST 2011

On 12/07/2011, Nick Bannon <nick at ucc.gu.uwa.edu.au> wrote:
> Perth Linux Users Group is meeting tonight:
> 	* Tuesday 12th July 2011, 6.30pm
> 	* in the Cameron Hall Loft, above the University Computer Club (Inc.)
> 	  Hackett Entrance #2 at The University of Western Australia, Crawley
> 	* Directions:
> 	  http://www.ucc.asn.au/aboutucc/contact.ucc
>
> James Henstridge of Canonical Ltd. will be there, with answers and
> questions of his or your devising.
>
> All welcome, join us on GIMPnet irc.plug.org.au/#plug and turn up in
> person from 5pm as we talk, plan, artwork busybee or test the network
> and the AV streaming (helpers wanted!), which should be available from:
>
> http://icecast.plug.org.au:8000/
>
> Nick.
> Vice-President 2011: http//www.plug.org.au/
>
> --
>    Nick Bannon   | "I made this letter longer than usual because
> nick-sig at rcpt.to | I lack the time to make it shorter." - Pascal

In theory, we should be able to access the streaming video (via a web
browser on a computer), and, somehow (?) save it to a HDD, thence to
possibly write it (as a saved file) to a DVD, should we not?

If that can be done, could someone please advise how to save the
broadcast to a HDD (it would probably be to a USB portable external
HDD - I am assuming that the broadcast would not be greater than 4GB
(limit of file size on FAT file format; default format of USB HDD
likely to be used) )?

I assume that it would, if possible, involve some action to begin the
recording, and, some action to end the recording (and thus involve
start of file and end of file flags), like, from memory (from about 25
years ago), using ATPK, I think it was, on a DEC PDP-11/44 running
RSTS/e, to save a session involving keystrokes and responses from the
computer (it was used in assessment testing in an operating systems
unit taught for DEC PDP RSTS/e and VAX-VMS)

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale