[plug] mail issues

Euan de Kock euan at dekock.net
Thu Jun 16 20:34:25 WST 2011

Hi,

Sounds like it may be a firewall problem.

Can you try and telnet to the server - from the cmd prompt
(assuming you're running outlook on Windows)

EG:

telnet MAIL_SERVER_ADDRESS 143

Then just for good measure, check if POP3 and SMTP access is also
enabled...

telnet MAIL_SERVER_ADDRESS 110
telnet MAIL_SERVER_ADDRESS 25

In each case, you will get a terse greeting message. You can then exit
by pressing Ctrl-[ (Control and left bracket) and typing "quit" at the
"telnet>" prompt.

SMTP probably does work or else you wouldn't be able to send mail.

What mail server are you trying to connect to ?

If it is not mail.mmtnetworks.com.au ignore the notes below.

A quick scan of mail.mmtnetworks.com.au reveals the following ports:

PORT    STATE    SERVICE
21/tcp  open     ftp
22/tcp  filtered ssh
23/tcp  filtered telnet
25/tcp  filtered smtp
53/tcp  filtered domain
80/tcp  open     http
110/tcp filtered pop3
139/tcp filtered netbios-ssn
143/tcp filtered imap
443/tcp open     https
445/tcp filtered microsoft-ds

Which looks like you have a firewall blocking access to these ports, but
that is probably intentional to the outside world. I am surprised 25 is
blocked, as this server is listed as your MX record.

Regards,

Euan de Kock.