[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 13:18:41 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Fred Janon <fjanon at yahoo.com> wrote:
> Not sure if you are now using the SpeedStream or a new one. Personnally I
> had a lot easier time as soon as I dropped the Speedstream and used another
> one. The speedstream is a very cheap unit made eons ago and with custom
> firmware for Bigpond and others. No manual and most likely not much testing
> of the custom firmware outside a set config. It seems too that you got your
> config to work with another modem so I would suggest you use another modem
> (anyway).
> Fred

We are at present using the Netgear modem, as we could not get the
Speedstream modem working again.

I do not care which of the modems we end up using, as long as I can
get the modem that we use, to work as before, with a gateway firewall
computer connected to the LAN, with static IP addresses within the LAN

Both modems have Administration Guides published and available on the Internet.

A major problem that is evident, is that Optus, in having directed me
to erase the settings in the Speedstream modem, refused to provide the
required settings to make it work again with the connection to Optus,
as it had before.

The problem lies with the ISP, whose actions in this, are the same in
nature, to phoning an automobile association, like the RAC or the NRMA
or the AA, to fix a puncture, then the patrolman comes out and removes
all of the wheels from the car, then looks at the car, says "Get
stuffed - it is a Subaru, and I am not a Subaru mechanic, so I will
not help you further", and leaves the car sitting on the roadside,
with no wheels attached, and then the automobile association, when
contacted about this, says "It is not our problem", and refuses to
resolve the issue.

I still do not know whether the Speedstream modem is fully physically
functional - I can connect to it, using the gateway computer, and can
access the web interface on it, for configuring it, but Optus refuses
to provide me with the settings that are needed to make it work  as it
had worked before the electricity failure.

The Speedstream 4200 modem was not supplied to us by Optus, but it is
a modem model that had been supplied by Optus to ADSL customers for
connecting to the Internet, so they should have knowledge of how to
configure the modem, and, until the electricity supply failure, the
modem had been working successfully with our gateway/firewall server
and the LAN,  and the Optus ADSL connection, and Optus had the
settings that made it work, erased, and refused to supply the settings
required to make it work again.

So, it is, I think, not an issue of the reliability of the particular
ADSL modem model, or, the lack of an Administration Guide for the
particular modem model - regarding the modem's current status, it is
due solely, now, to the actions of the ISP, in erasing the settings
that made the modem work, and refusing to provide the settings
required to make the modem work again as it had before, after the ISP
had those settings erased.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale