[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:38:10 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Bret Busby <bret.busby at gmail.com> wrote:
> On 24/03/2011, Craig Foster <Craig at fostware.net> wrote:
>> See below
>>

>>> I do not care which of the modems we end up using, as long as I can get
>>> the
>>
>>> modem that we use, to work as before, with a gateway firewall computer
>>
>>> connected to the LAN, with static IP addresses within the LAN
>>
>> Configure your modem using
>> http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm
>> and set it to modem mode.
>
> That mode applies to the Netgear modem, and not to the Speedstream modem.
>
> The Netgear modem displays the options
> Modem/router
> Modem
>
> The Speedstream modem displays the options
> Optus Bridge
> NAPT
> Full Bridge
>
> The path that you specified above (apart from the IP address which had
> been replaced by the 10.x.x.x address), applies to the Netgear modem -
> after logging in to the respective modems, the respective screens were
> found using the Setup -> Mode paths of menu selections
>

>> Set the encapsulation type according to
>> http://help.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/connected/windows/modemwvista/speedstream_eth
>>

>> Then configure the linux box to do PPPoE using the rest of the settings
>> on
>> that page.
>>

> How do I set up the Linux box to do PPPoE?
>
> I thought that that was a configuration parameter of the modems,
> rather than of a computer that goes through the modems.
>
> Or, do you men that bI should set up the modem for PPoE, using the 16
> steps in the document?
>
> --
> Bret Busby
> Armadale
> West Australia

I can go out via the Speedstream modem, now, using the gateway computer.

Both ADSL modems are using PPoE connections.

But I cannot go out onto the Internet from a computer on the LAN, via
the gateway computer.

The problem is, how do I use the gateway computer (how do I get it set
up, differently to how it is now set up, to allow me) to go out on the
Internet, through the gateway computer?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale