[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 16:14:52 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Craig Foster <Craig at fostware.net> wrote:
> See below
>

>> I do not care which of the modems we end up using, as long as I can get
>> the
>
>> modem that we use, to work as before, with a gateway firewall computer
>
>> connected to the LAN, with static IP addresses within the LAN
>
> Configure your modem using http://192.168.0.1/setup.cgi?next_file=mode.htm
> and set it to modem mode.

That mode applies to the Netgear modem, and not to the Speedstream modem.

The Netgear modem displays the options
Modem/router
Modem

The Speedstream modem displays the options
Optus Bridge
NAPT
Full Bridge

The path that you specified above (apart from the IP address which had
been replaced by the 10.x.x.x address), applies to the Netgear modem -
after logging in to the respective modems, the respective screens were
found using the Setup -> Mode paths of menu selections

> Set the encapsulation type according to
> http://help.optuszoo.com.au/help/dsl/connected/windows/modemwvista/speedstream_eth
>

> Then configure the linux box to do PPPoE using the rest of the settings on
> that page.

How do I set up the Linux box to do PPPoE?

I thought that that was a configuration parameter of the modems,
rather than of a computer that goes through the modems.

Or, do you men that bI should set up the modem for PPoE, using the 16
steps in the document?

--
Bret Busby
Armadale