[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 17:13:08 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:

<snip>

>> I can go out via the Speedstream modem, now, using the gateway computer.
>>
>> Both ADSL modems are using PPoE connections.
>>
>> But I cannot go out onto the Internet from a computer on the LAN, via
>> the gateway computer.
>>
>> The problem is, how do I use the gateway computer (how do I get it set
>> up, differently to how it is now set up, to allow me) to go out on the
>> Internet, through the gateway computer?
>>

> Lets just step back a moment.
>
> Are you forwarding the packets "echo 1 > /some/file/IPV4.forward" or
> whatever?
>
> Are you telling your inside computers (static IP) what the gateway is?
>

> --
> Richard Meyer

ifconfig shows three IP adresses; the IP address of the workstation,
the broadcast IP address, and the netmask.

System -> Network shows the IP address of the workstation network
card, and, the DNS server IP address has been tried in various values;
the LAN NIC on the gatweway computer, the outward NIC (interfacing to
the ADSL modem) on the Gateway computer, and the IP address of the
modem.

Where else do I set a gateway IP address?

The IP address settings on the workstation, are as they were when it
all worked with the gateway computer running Smoothwall 2.0 Express,
except that, at that time, the NIC on the gateway computer, that
interfaced to the ADSL modem, had a different IP address, with the n
in 192.x.n.x being different to the m value in 192.x.m.x for the LAN
IP address range, and that NIC currently has an IP address value of
10.x.w.x, where the IP address range, including the w values, is the
same as for the IP address of the modem, as, as previously explained,
the ADSL modems are currently using DHCP, in the IP address range
10.x.w.x, with the gateway NIC that interfaces with the modem, being a
reserved IP address within the DHCP range within the Netgear modem
(and, it appears to work, without being similarly reserved, with the
Speedstream modem).

--
Bret Busby
Armadale