[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Thu Mar 24 21:18:23 WST 2011

On 24/03/11 17:13, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer<meyerri at westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> <snip>

Hi Bret,

I may be jumping in a little late on this but are you still running
debian on the gateway computer?

If so, (and you therefore have not reloaded Smoothwall or another
'firewall' product), then it may simply be a case of configuring the
firewall/routing on the gateway properly.

Have you tried using a tool like "Firestarter" to configure the
firewall/routing?

If not, I would recommend installing firestarter (as a test....
smoothwall would be better in the medium term)..

Just do "apt-get install firestarter && firestarter"  and follow the
prompts...

Note:  Your will likely also need a DHCP server ( dhcp3-server ) loaded
& configured on the gateway machine to allocate addresses to the LAN pc's.

Cheers,
Peter