[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Richard Meyer meyerri at westnet.com.au
Thu Mar 24 21:56:30 WST 2011

On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 17:13 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> > On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>
> <snip>
>

> >> I can go out via the Speedstream modem, now, using the gateway computer.
> >>
> >> Both ADSL modems are using PPoE connections.
> >>
> >> But I cannot go out onto the Internet from a computer on the LAN, via
> >> the gateway computer.
> >>
> >> The problem is, how do I use the gateway computer (how do I get it set
> >> up, differently to how it is now set up, to allow me) to go out on the
> >> Internet, through the gateway computer?
> >>

> > Lets just step back a moment.
> >
> > Are you forwarding the packets "echo 1 > /some/file/IPV4.forward" or
> > whatever?
> >
> > Are you telling your inside computers (static IP) what the gateway is?
> >

> > --
> > Richard Meyer
> >

> ifconfig shows three IP adresses; the IP address of the workstation,
> the broadcast IP address, and the netmask.
>
> System -> Network shows the IP address of the workstation network
> card, and, the DNS server IP address has been tried in various values;
> the LAN NIC on the gatweway computer, the outward NIC (interfacing to
> the ADSL modem) on the Gateway computer, and the IP address of the
> modem.
>
> Where else do I set a gateway IP address?

In my case on my workstation (Kubuntu with static IP address it's
in /etc/network/interfaces and looks like below

> cat /etc/network/interfaces
> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>
> # The loopback network interface
> auto lo
> iface lo inet loopback
>
> # The primary network interface
> auto eth0
> iface eth0 inet static
>         address 192.168.1.100
>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>         network 192.168.1.0
>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
>         gateway 192.168.1.1

This then goes to another internal network on a 10.0.0.x and out to the scary internet.

> The IP address settings on the workstation, are as they were when it
> all worked with the gateway computer running Smoothwall 2.0 Express,
> except that, at that time, the NIC on the gateway computer, that
> interfaced to the ADSL modem, had a different IP address, with the n
> in 192.x.n.x being different to the m value in 192.x.m.x for the LAN
> IP address range, and that NIC currently has an IP address value of
> 10.x.w.x, where the IP address range, including the w values, is the
> same as for the IP address of the modem, as, as previously explained,
> the ADSL modems are currently using DHCP, in the IP address range
> 10.x.w.x, with the gateway NIC that interfaces with the modem, being a
> reserved IP address within the DHCP range within the Netgear modem
> (and, it appears to work, without being similarly reserved, with the
> Speedstream modem).

I suppose if you are handing out IP addresses via DHCP you don't need
that, but the output of a "route -n" command might be interesting.

In my case from my workstation it looks like:

--
Richard Meyer

Welcome to the Internet:  Where men are men, women are men, and children
are FBI agents.

Linux Counter user #306629