[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 22:52:52 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 17:13 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer <meyerri at westnet.com.au> wrote:
>> > On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>>
>> <snip>

>> > Lets just step back a moment.
>> >
>> > Are you forwarding the packets "echo 1 > /some/file/IPV4.forward" or
>> > whatever?
>> >
>> > Are you telling your inside computers (static IP) what the gateway is?
>> >

>> > --
>> > Richard Meyer
>> >

>> ifconfig shows three IP adresses; the IP address of the workstation,
>> the broadcast IP address, and the netmask.
>>
>> System -> Network shows the IP address of the workstation network
>> card, and, the DNS server IP address has been tried in various values;
>> the LAN NIC on the gatweway computer, the outward NIC (interfacing to
>> the ADSL modem) on the Gateway computer, and the IP address of the
>> modem.
>>
>> Where else do I set a gateway IP address?
>
> In my case on my workstation (Kubuntu with static IP address it's
> in /etc/network/interfaces and looks like below
>
>> cat /etc/network/interfaces
>> # This file describes the network interfaces available on your system
>> # and how to activate them. For more information, see interfaces(5).
>>
>> # The loopback network interface
>> auto lo
>> iface lo inet loopback
>>
>> # The primary network interface
>> auto eth0
>> iface eth0 inet static
>>         address 192.168.1.100
>>         netmask 255.255.255.0
>>         network 192.168.1.0
>>         broadcast 192.168.1.255
>>         gateway 192.168.1.1
>
> This then goes to another internal network on a 10.0.0.x and out to the
> scary internet.

Okay.

My /etc/network/interfaces files are below.

Workstation

:~$ cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

# The primary network interface
allow-hotplug eth0
iface eth0 inet static
	address 192.168.2.95
	netmask 255.255.255.0
	network 192.168.2.0
	broadcast 192.168.2.255
	gateway 192.168.2.1
	# dns-* options are implemented by the resolvconf package, if installed
	dns-nameservers 192.168.2.1 192.168.2.11
	dns-search busby.net

auto eth0

Gateway Computer

:~# cat /etc/network/interfaces

# The loopback network interface
auto lo
iface lo inet loopback

iface eth0 inet static
address 192.168.2.1
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.2

auto eth0

iface eth1 inet static
address 10.1.1.3
netmask 255.255.255.0
gateway 10.1.1.1

auto eth1

The LAN NIC on the gateway computer, is 192.168.2.1

The NIC that interfaces to the ADSL modem is 10.1.1.3

The ADSL modem (the same for each modem) is 10.1.1.1

So, what do I need to change?

Thank you in anticipation.

--
Bret Busby