[plug] Query about gateway computer settings

Bret Busby bret.busby at gmail.com
Thu Mar 24 22:13:29 WST 2011

On 24/03/2011, Peter <demo9 at gswd.com> wrote:
> On 24/03/11 17:13, Bret Busby wrote:
>> On 24/03/2011, Richard Meyer<meyerri at westnet.com.au>  wrote:
>>> On Thu, 2011-03-24 at 16:38 +0800, Bret Busby wrote:
>> <snip>
>>

> Hi Bret,
>
> I may be jumping in a little late on this but are you still running
> debian on the gateway computer?

Yes.

> If so, (and you therefore have not reloaded Smoothwall or another
> 'firewall' product), then it may simply be a case of configuring the
> firewall/routing on the gateway properly.
>
> Have you tried using a tool like "Firestarter" to configure the
> firewall/routing?
>
> If not, I would recommend installing firestarter (as a test....
> smoothwall would be better in the medium term)..
>
> Just do "apt-get install firestarter && firestarter"  and follow the
> prompts...

I had downloaded and installed fwbuilder, but I had wanted to make
sure that I could access the Internet from the workstation, via the
gateway computer, before I set up a firewall on that computer..

> Note:  Your will likely also need a DHCP server ( dhcp3-server ) loaded
> & configured on the gateway machine to allocate addresses to the LAN pc's.

The LAN computers have static IP addresses, and, as one of the LAN
computers is the mailserver, I believe that the static IP addresses
need to be preserved, also for operations such as ftp-ing and
telnetting between the LAN computers.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale