[plug] error trying to boot into ubuntu 10

Arie Hol arie2010 at ozemail.com.au
Sat Mar 26 13:51:20 WST 2011

Hello David,

1 :

If you suspect a hardware fault - you could try downloading a diagnostic
utility from the hard drive manufacturer's website.

This usually involves making a boot disk - which allows the utility to
work without the influence of an operating system or a filesystem.

These utilities generally work at a lower level than which an operating
system would allow and thus would ignore any filesystems.

2 :

I notice that in an error message you have quoted it stated that the
"superblock was corrupt", I would be inclined to think this was more
likely to be a software or data error rather than hardware.

I would think that a hardware error would more than likely return an
error reporting that the file location was "unreadable" - but this is
only my opinion.

On 26 Mar 2011 at 12:24, dbuddrige at bigpond.com wrote:

> hi all,
>
> I have recently installed a ubuntu 10 system [dual-booted with windows],
> with the main root partition being ext3.  However, on rebooting the
> system, after the grub menu displayed, and I selected the option to boot
> into linux, it displayed an error and then went into a highly limited
> session.  Unfortunately, from this state I was unable to gain any
> access to any of the hard-drives, so I rebooted off the ubuntu10 cd and
> then tried to mount the root hard-drive from there.
>
> On doing so, I got a message saying:
>
> "Error mounting; mount: wrong fs type, bad option, bad superblock on
> /dev/sda5, missing codepage or helper program, or other error.  In some
> cases useful info is found in syslog - try dmesg | tail or so"

Regards Arie