[plug] Zimbra

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Wed May 4 17:23:12 WST 2011

On 04/05/11 17:05, Tim Bowden wrote:
hris

> I'm just a bit upset it can't use PostgreSQL instead of MySQL.  Gets me
> riled up every time I come up against that.  Wordpress is the other one
> that's pissed me off there.  As far as I'm aware neither of them use
> features specific to MySQL.  They just didn't put any value in being
> even slightly db agnostic.

The real clanger with Zimbra is it is a complete pain to install and
cleanly integrate into an already configured server. It wants a clean
server of one of a very small list of approved operating systems.

Because (A) it's expensive, and (B) it has a limited license count I
only want to use it for a limited number of e-mail accounts. I've got it
set up behind an existing Exim mail server that runs most of the domain
and only passes through the mail for the mobile accounts.

Chris is right though, the Exchange Connector and the mobile syncing
features are only available in the commercial version.

Having said that did I mention it syncs with my blackberry? That alone
is worth the price of admission for me.

I've lost count of the money I've *cough* against the wall in the last
10 years alone buying phones and trying to get them to do this.