[plug] Accidental reboot

Mitch Kelly (UCC) mitch at ucc.asn.au
Tue May 10 15:53:52 WST 2011

chmod -x /usr/local/bin/reboot

-----Original Message-----
From: plug-bounces at plug.org.au [mailto:plug-bounces at plug.org.au] On Behalf
Of Brad Campbell
Sent: Tuesday, 10 May 2011 3:47 PM
To: plug at plug.org.au
Subject: Re: [plug] Accidental reboot

On 10/05/11 15:38, Bret Busby wrote:
> On 10/05/2011, Brad Campbell<brad at fnarfbargle.com>  wrote:

>> Put together a quick /usr/local/bin/reboot
>> #!/bin/bash
>> echo Surprise!
>>
>> Problem solved. Why did it take me so long to think of it?
>>

> I find it simpler to avoid using sudo.
>
> It is the devil's tool.

Half the time I su -c and get a root shell.

The problem remains the same unless you can explain to me in very small
words how I can update some root owned configuration files and remotely
reboot a machine from an xterm without acquiring root privileges of some
sort.

I'm more than prepared to change my ways if appropriately enlightened.
PLUG discussion list: plug at plug.org.au