[plug] Urban Terror - tonight 8pm!

Peter demo9 at gswd.com
Mon May 16 11:21:02 WST 2011

On 16/05/11 08:41, Jason Nicholls wrote:
> Well at least it looked like some of you managed to get a game! I was
> on the server from 8 until close to 8:15 but I was itching to have a
> game so I jumped ship onto another server with plenty of players.
> Pretty fun even though I spent most of my time waiting to respawn :)
>

> On Sun, May 15, 2011 at 2:33 PM, Jason Nicholls
> <jason at mindsocket.com.au <mailto:jason at mindsocket.com.au>> wrote:
>
>     Hey Guys,
>
>     For whoever is interested let's jump on the PLUG UT server
>     *tonight from 8pm* to have a bit of a mess around.
>
>     See the other thread about getting the client - make sure you give
>     yourself enough time cause it's a 1GB download!
>
>     Also, i've found on Ubuntu 11.04 x86_64 that the binary runs but
>     can't find the game files which means it's pretty much useless.
>     However the i386 binary works properly so use that instead.
>

> Jason Nicholls
> jason at mindsocket.com.au <mailto:jason at mindsocket.com.au>
> 0430 314 857

Well, I managed to get on an have a few games....  it was an absolute
kill-fest... for the other guys!  I had loaded the game onto my laptop
running Ubuntu 11.04 (with default graphics drivers).  The graphics were
very laggy, even at low resolutions, but I persisted and managed (with
great skill) to get killed a record number of times.

I later transferred the game to my Linux Mint (LMDE) partition, on the
same Laptop, and tried again.  LMDE has proprietary nVidia drivers
loaded and it ran heaps better, even at higher res.  I got back on-line
and played few games with my son after installing it on his PC (seeing
as all the PLUGGERS had abandoned the game by then) and it was much more
enjoyable....   Still got my bum kicked (by a 12yr old!)...  but it was fun.

I look forward to setting even greater records next time.

Cheers,
Peter