[plug] Proxy server

W.Kenworthy billk at iinet.net.au
Wed May 18 12:32:23 WST 2011

On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 11:46 +0800, Garry wrote:
> On 18/05/11 10:14, Tim Bowden wrote:
> > On Wed, 2011-05-18 at 10:08 +0800, Jeremy Kerr wrote:
> >> Hi Garry,

> >> Just:
> >>
> >>   ssh -D 1080<some-server-in-au>
> >>
> >> Then configure your browser to use localhost:1080 as a SOCKSv5 proxy.
> >>
> >> Cheers,
> >>

> >> Jeremy
> > <shameless promo>
> >
> > If you need a server in au, why not join PLUG and get a shell account?
> >
> > </shameless promo>
> >

> > Tim bowden
>
> AFAIK, I *am* one of the people with a financial membership...
>
> So "ssh -D 1080 <some-server-in-au>" will get me a tunnel bound and
> forwarded (thanks, man), does this act as a tunnel to make it look as
> though I'm in Aus, as I am seeking? So the traffic just pops out at
> <some-server-in-au>? Couldn't be that easy, surely?
>
> Who is the person looking after the PLUG machine (time for a Shameless
> plug, anyone?) these days?
>
> Garry.

I tried this from Thailand where I think the whole country is on a
single dialup modem :)

Miserable failure as openssh didnt handle the bad connection very well.
openvpn had similar issues - couldnt even read email reliably over the
tunnel.

What did work was zebedee which while slow, was at least reliable.

Not sure how Bali's network infrastructure is as its been too many years
since I was there, but it wasnt good back then.

BillK