[plug] Clubs, Pubs, Lugs and Mugs

Arie Hol arie2010 at ozemail.com.au
Wed May 18 02:09:11 WST 2011

Clubs, Pubs, Lugs and Mugs

Over the last forty years, I have been involved with several clubs and
associations - for a brief period I was the founding treasurer of a new
club - but due to changes in my employment I had to step down, because my
situation became untenable.

More to the point:

Over the years several common factors were observed in all the clubs and
associations :

The successful clubs survived solely on the efforts of a core of
dedicated individuals who did ALL of the hard work and got LITTLE of the
glory, they were mostly surrounded by a solid group of supporters who
helped out and soaked up all the goodness, there was also a fringe
element of detractors which I refer to as excess baggage.

The unsuccessful clubs also had a dedicated core of hard working
individuals but they were overloaded with passengers and freeloaders,
surrounded by a fringe element of detractors.

PLUG has proven to be the exception, it has just barely survived despite
the freeloaders and detractors.

PLUG is currently in a transition stage - it is being rebirthed by a core
of dedicated individuals - with some willing and helpful supporters.

Our new President James Bromberger is doing a terrific and highly
commendable job - he has brought a new energy and inspiration to PLUG.

I don't agree with everything he says but he is setting initiatives and
achieving the results that PLUG needs.

He has asked for help and he deserves to get it.

With all that is happening at PLUG it seems the fringe dwelling
detractors are coming out the woodwork - their only contribution being
poison pen letters.

If I may - I would speak from my personal point of view :

Where else can you gain access to technical experts with high level
skills in Linux, open source and computing in general - all for free.

Where else can you attend meetings, seminars, presentations etc in a
friendly environment - for free.

Where else can you get a feed of pizza - for the cost of a gold coin.

If you have a computing disaster at hand - where else you can get help -
advice - guidance and support for free - but the value is priceless.

So lets cutout all the garbage about fees like "how much" and which may
or may not be the best way to pay them - and lets cutout the poison
letters from armchairs in the fringe areas.

If a person is not happy about PLUG - they should stop writing  poison
letters and come to a PLUG gathering and show their face.

How hard is to reach into your pocket and pay your dues?

Put up or Shut up.

Not every body is able to do the sort of things that PLUG needs to remain
viable, but everybody is able to support the hard workers that are doing
the work.

Regards Arie