No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

network server market (internet servers) approximately two years ago. I would expect
that Linux should have "all the fruit" required for decent office desktop within 12-18
months. The improvements in "office applications" area in the past 12 months is
somewhere between dramatic and miraculous, however there is still an air of "not quite
there yet".

One area where Linux should be able to hold its own is the file/print server section. I
have seen numerous emails on the finer points of samba configuration which would leave
competing products for dead. If Samba is so good, why aren't more companies using it?

The answer is that there are a LOT of people who do not fully understand Samba (Linux
or other applications such as Apache). Without proper understanding, people will be
unprepared to "stick their neck out" and take the risk (fear of the unknown). I am well
aware the existence of the fine book "Samba: Integrating UNIX and Windows", however
simply having a book/online documentation does not meet the requirements of some
corporate organisations.

To meet the training requirements of some companies requires attendance of courses
which issue a "certificate of attendance", not necessarily passed - for example I have
a certificate which states "This is to certify that xxxx has completed a course of
instruction in yyyy". Providing there is a course fits the requirement (for example
install a web server) that is reasonably priced, recognised to deliver the goods then
getting managerial approval will be easy (compared to finding a suitable course from my
experience!)

Therefore it would seem the magic solution to our dilema of getting Linux widely
accepted by industry is to promote training courses based around Linux and its
associated "suite of solutions" (about the best term I can think of to describe what
Linux capabilites).

The fly in the oitment here is the ability of "recognised to deliver the goods", often
a manager will base his opinion on this matter by:
   a) is the company/organisation delivering the course a reputable training company
   b) is the course recognised by professional bodies
	(eg: Australian Computer Society as part of their on-going training requirements
	for membership)

      !!! IF YOU KNOW OF ANY SUCH TRAINING COURSES, PLEASE LET ME KNOW !!!
            (Or even help assist constructing such training courses)

Education - Home user
=====================

One interesting development is the sale of pre-installed Linux boxes for the home
market. The PLUG Prez [Chris Cornish] is one of these people getting involved in this
segement of the market. To ensure that the customer is satisfied he sends the proud
owner to a quick training course on Linux.

The question I have is what courses currently exist which would gently ease a computer
neophyte into the world of Linux? One suggestion would be for local Linux user groups
to be involved with local TAFEs to conduct night classes (eg: 1 night a week for 10
weeks run at a local high school under the auspices of TAFE). If we follow the TAFE
line of thought, how much course material is currently available and how much would
need to developed (naturally the first week would end up being a "this is a mouse, this
is a hard drive..." session).

Some work is currently underway with the computerbank project.

Flame Thrower

The above are the views of David Campbell and may not reflect the views of the Perth
Linux User Group or its comittee (http://plug.linux.org.au/members.html). I am willing
to be corrected providing you have some constructive comments to add, this way the
whole Linux community moves forward.

David Campbell