No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

From: CNET NEWS.COM Dispatch [mailto:NEWS-DISPATCH at DISPATCH.CNET.COM] On
Sent: 14 April 1999 03:21
To: NEWS-DISPATCH at DISPATCH.CNET.COM
Subject: Privacy concerns abound/Low-cost wars subside?/RealNetworks
resilient

______________________________| http://www.news.com |___

        CNET: The Computer Network

        N E W S . C O M   D I S P A T C H
        Breaking News at the Speed of the Net

        25 New Stories as of 12:00 pm PST
        Tuesday, April 13, 1999

TABLE OF CONTENTS:

Today's Top News Stories: The tech news you need to know.

-  Privacy holes signal need for standards
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35027%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.01
-  Will Pentium III ease the low-cost PC war?
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35015%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.02
-  RealNetworks sings MP3 tune with Xing buy
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35017%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.03

Also in the News

-  Enterprise Computing: Caldera eases Linux onto the desktop
-  Communications: Broadband all the buzz on Wall Street
-  E-Commerce: eBay prices record stock offering

AOL, Outlook Express, and any users who cannot access links, click here:
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0,4,32251,00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.04

Questions about your subscription? Check the end of this letter for
information.

=================Advertisement========================

Get 8 RISK-FREE Issues of The Industry Standard.
Called "The best publication covering the Net!" by
ABC News, The Industry Standard is the voice and
authority of the new Internet Economy.  Now's your
chance to sample it for FREE.  Click this url to order:
http://www.news.com/Dispatch/Advertising/indstandard.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.05

TODAY'S TOP STORIES

Privacy holes signal need for standards

When Yahoo acknowledged last week that a demonstration on
Yahoo Store was revealing customer order information, it was
only the latest major site among several to face a privacy breach.
Part of the problem is that self-regulation alone will not curb
privacy abuses, according to some privacy advocates.
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35027%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.06

Will Pentium III ease the low-cost PC war?

Despite the surge in demand for sub-$600 computers, high-end
Pentium III-based PCs have managed to rack up "respectable"
sales among consumers. The sales are providing some hope to
PC makers who have been pummeling each other in the
low-cost PC arena.
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35015%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.07

RealNetworks sings MP3 tune with Xing buy

Online multimedia company RealNetworks today announced it
has acquired privately held Xing Technology, a developer and
provider of MP3 software, in a stock deal valued at a maximum
of $75 million.
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35017%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.08

=================Advertisement=======================

Don't Miss Today's GREAT Deal! Click Here.
http://www.computers.com/specialoffer/0%2C155%2C0-127%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.04
13.09

ALSO IN THE NEWS

Enterprise Computing: Caldera eases Linux onto the desktop

The company preps a new consumer-friendly desktop version of
OpenLinux that lets people run the upstart operating system
without ever seeing a confusing interface. (Apr 12, 5:50 p.m. PT)
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35007%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.10

Communications: Broadband all the buzz on Wall Street

High-speed Net stocks have made serious waves on Wall Street,
as investors buy shares in firms that are leading the charge for
broadband Net connections. (Apr 12, 6:00 p.m. PT)
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35009%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.11

E-Commerce: eBay prices record stock offering

The auction site sets a price of $170 a share for its offering of
6.5 million shares of common stock, raising $1.1 billion in the
biggest offering ever by an Internet company.
(Apr 13, 8:00 a.m. PT)
http://www.news.com/News/Item/0%2C4%2C35024%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.12

=================Advertisement========================

Get a better job at CNET's redesigned Tech Jobs Center!
You can explore job opportunities, download job search
tools, and sign up for a free, anonymous email account.
http://www.cnet.com/Techjobs/?dd.ne.txt.0413.13

Click here for the latest News in these categories:

The Net
http://www.news.com/Categories/Index/0%2C3%2C140%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.14

Personal Technology
http://www.news.com/Categories/Index/0%2C3%2C160%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.15

CNET Investor
http://www.news.com/Investor/Frontdoor/0%2C207%2C%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.1
6

CNET Radio-- The Voice of the Internet
http://www.news.com/Radio/Index/0%2C55%2C%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.17

For a complete list of our news categories, click here, and check the
listings on the left:
http://www.news.com/Week/List/0%2C100%2C0%2C00.html?dd.ne.txt.0413.18