No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

television is probably pretty neutral educationaly, but does have a mild
role in enculturating children as to the social landscape they face. It
*can* be handy for (for instance) letting kids know whats currenly in
vogue with other kids etc. (Ie knowing whats the latest pokemon
type game or what hi-5 are up to etc). These probably should not be
written off as they are kind of play training for the sort of rituals
adults 'play'.

That said, kids are dynamic. Not having a TV means kids have to figure
these things out organically. Ultimately I *suspect* infact that its
healthier for kids to actually go out onto the playground and work out
these cultural rules for themself.

The effect long term either way is probably minimal. I didnt have a TV for
ages and I *still* am a big geek :)

"Must not Sleep! Must warn others!"
-Aesop.
Shayne O'Neill. Indymedia. Fun.