No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

It took us a few attempts, to install it. The RAM aspect has already
been mentioned. The printer problem has already been raised (I still
don't know how to get it to print to the DeskJet, but will have to try
something with GhostScript - my boss (!) said that we have to go into
the packages part of RH, to configure it, before it will operate;
apparently RH doesn't actually instal some packages for use, at
installation of RH, it just copies them onto the system, for
configuration and setup, before use). It can sometimes be a sod of a
thing to run. It doesn't run very well, when the browser is open, and
Netscape is open at the same time, and I try to open a site that I
couldn't open with Netscape. But, that may just be a need for more
RAM. And, I keep getting this yellow rubbish, if the mouse pointer is
in the text window. And, I have problems with copying and pasting.
But, I can get the browser to work, and the email, but I don't know
what I have done, that Rob and Russ, who can't get them to run,
haven't.

Also, the dates thing has been mentioned. I found, yesterday, that, if
I insert a date into a text document, the date is in dd/mm/yy format.
Elsewhere that I have encountered, like the dates for the email as
displayed in the Email window, etc, the dates are in the format
mm/dd/yy. That is a bit of an irritation, that I don't know how to
overcome.

A major difference between Star Office 5,and M$ Office 97, is the
degree of integration, With M$ Office 97, the applications that
comprise the suite, can be loaded individually. With Star Office 5,
it's all or nothing. Then, it operates (or, appears to), like a
Windows, in it's own right, with the applications, or, tasks, in it's
own task bar. I don't know how it compares with previous versions of
Star Office, as I have not tried them.

There are others on the list, who can give a much better appraisal of
Star Office 5. My problems may just be from lack of experience.

I have heard mention of Star Office 5.1, but I have found no mention
of it on the Star Division web site.

Bret Busby