No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

Gavin, you're right, they use "Pair Gain" to get more users on one line and
save themselves money - what they don't don't tell the customers is because
of the way pair gain works, they'll never get above 28,800 bps or around
that speed. Some are even unlucky enough to get no more than 14,400 bps.

I work at an ISP, we get heaps of customers blasting us about their low
connection speeds and they should be getting faster because "we've got a 56k
modem, so what's wrong with your end????", also, dropouts ! Once Telstra
admits to having pair gain (which they don't do easily) then we have to let
the customer know that because of Telstra's phone system in their area,
they'll prolly continue to get low line speed and dropouts - unless Telstra
WANTS to do something about it....

Pair Gain's known for dropouts ! When one user is on the net and then
another user (neighbour) tries to make a call, the line bandwidth is halved
so the neighbour can make a call, you can see what this would do to the
internet connection !!

I might email or write to Telstra and ask them if their guarenteed
connection speed is written anywhere in legal terms....for a laugh if
nothing else.

/Kai