No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

-----Original Message-----
From: billk at iinet.net.au [mailto:billk at iinet.net.au]
Sent: Thursday, March 15, 2001 8:36 AM
To: plug at plug.linux.org.au
Subject: [plug] off topic: How does one force IE to refresh a changed
web page?

Hi,
	well & truly off topic!

Does anyone know how to force IE to read a changed web page.  I have a lot
of scripted html that is regenerated each night by a cron job (linux of
course!).  Windoze & Linux Netscape reads that a page has changed, and on
the rare occurrence that it doesnt, shift-reload works.  Windoze IE users
however have to go through "clear cache, clear memory" etc, and sometimes
restart IE before it reads that something has changed on the page (i.e.,
refresh just rewrites the display, not the chache contents as netscape
seems to do).  I have seen it days out of date, and sometimes users dont
realise that changes have occurred!  The server is running on a sun, and
(probably) is apache - how does one tell by the way, I have access to the
box but there is only a binary ./opt/www/bin/httpd, which I am wary of just
running with a -v to see what shows (production system), there does not
seem to be any of the normal apache directories around, but this is an old
system.

I am going to add the "dont cache page" tag to each page (trivial when
using scripts, just have to look it up ...), but the question remains, how
does one force IE to notice something has changed.

BillK
the system manager.

www.mimesweeper.com