No subject

Tue Nov 29 10:43:08 WST 2011

faxtam, and other backup phone equipment, would likely not work on an
ADSL line, so we would appear to need to retain the two separate
telephone lines; one for voice calls, one for data. So, it appears that
we would not gain any saving in eliminating our second phone line to put
both voice and data on the same line using ADSL, as according to the
information received, incompatibility with older phone equipment is
likely.

As Concept Networks require the monthly fees for ADSL to be paid
quarterly in advance, and, with the cost of the ADSL modem thing, and
the setup fee, etc, the upfront cost would be several hundred dollars,
for home use, and, it would not be much less than what telecom had
listed on their website, for satellite data communication (getting a
satellite dish, and, getting high speed data communication via
satellite), when telecom classed Armadale as a remote community, when I
first posted to the list, that Armadale was so classed by telecom,
regarding broadband access. From memory, at that time, it was about
$800 to get a satellite dish, and about $80 per month.

This may be off-topic for this Linux list, but a thread was started
about ADSL, and that and other issues arose, for which clarification is
good.

--
Bret Busby
Armadale

 you'll know what the answer means."
- Deep Thought,
  Chapter 28 of the Hitchhiker's Guide to the Galaxy
- Douglas Adams, 1988