[plug] Weird Linux Problems

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Sat Nov 5 09:24:15 WST 2011

I'm trying to remotely diagnose a linux machine that is having some odd
problems. Things like top and ps just hang part way through a listing.
Trying to do dmesg to the terminal hangs, but dmesg to a file doesn't.

It's recently had a memory upgrade from 1Gb to 4Gb, so eventually I want
to run memtest on it (but being remote, can't do that atm). It's running
Ubuntu 11.10.

I'm guessing it must be some hardware driver issue, but can't work out
which one yet (lsmod even hangs).

The last odd thing that happened, is a dns lookup returned the ip
address in reverse! But this I believe was the adsl modem doing it,
anyone heard of that happening? (Lookup for purewhite.id.au returned
10.45.41.175 instead of 175.41.45.10)

Any hints on what might be causing these hangs?

Tim