[plug] Back again,Fedora 16 help please

gavin chester gavin.chester at gmail.com
Sat Nov 26 12:56:59 WST 2011

I also just installed Fed16 on a brand new lappie (my first new
purchase in nearly 10 years!), and have found that the command line
solutions to your problem posted on forums seems out of date for FC16
in that the expected files in /etc/X11 are not present the same as
other distros or in the recent past (YMMV).

There are two parts to your problem, and checking you realise that we
have a desktop manager (dm) to give login, and then we have a window
manager (wm) to give us the look and feel of our everday computer.
Anyway, whether you choose as your dm the venerable gdm (probably your
default) or kdm or even xdm, there is always a menu offered at login
to give a choice of wm (kde, gnome, xfce, etc) at logon. And, usually
once you've chosen your wm at the logon it will remain the same until
you manually change it again at some other login. That's the gui way
to do it easily that has been around for yonks.

You may need to use your software package manager of choice to check
that 1/ you have a running kde desktop installed; and 2/ that you have
kdm installed as well if you want to change that, though as written
above that should be choice rather than necessity.

Gavin