[plug] USB cable

Brad Campbell brad at fnarfbargle.com
Tue Oct 25 22:05:19 WST 2011

On 25/10/11 21:53, David Dartnall wrote:
> Could someone please advise me where to buy a USB type A male - male cable.
> I need to connect my laptop as well as the desktop computer to my
> Brother DCP-385C printer.
> Appropriate Brother drivers are on both machines.
> I have a small 4 port usb hub and a m-m gender changer.
> Dick Smith told me it couldn't be done with USB but I don't believe them...

Unfortunately, unless you have a USB A/B switch to allow you to either
manually or automatically connect the printer alternately to each
machine, they are right.

USB is a master/slave bus which only makes allowances for a single
master. It's either / or I'm afraid.

Have you considered sharing the printer over the network?