[plug] [OT] Looking for forum/mailing list software

Tim White weirdit at gmail.com
Wed Apr 18 05:51:34 WST 2012

Hey everyone.
It's slightly on-topic as it needs to run on a Linux based server.
Looking for a way to "harness" the newer internet users without loosing
the older ones. Simply put, looking for a web forum solution that
integrates nicely with a mailing list. This needs to be 2 way
integration, posts from the forum go to the mailing list, and posts from
the mailing list goto the forum, preserving topics as much as possible.
Current mailing list in use is Mailman, but this can be changed if needed.

Possible solutions found so far.

* phpbb2 with m2f (both not supported/not still developed, so not an
option, phpbb3 and m2f isn't yet written)
* Phorum with mailman (seems Nginx forums have done this, haven't found
out how yet)
* Tiki.org (an ok solution, haven't tried it yet to confirm)
* Drupal had modules for this but we could never get it working

Vanilla forums has the functionality only in their hosted version, so
not an option

Is anyone running something like this, or know of software that does it?
(Who knows, maybe PLUG will get the forum integration we tried to get
sometime ago)

Thanks

Tim